Credit Card Safety
Credit card usage has increased for everyday items, so please be extra careful during all times of the year by observing the following safety tips:
- Always make sure that you get your credit card back after handing to someone for payment of an item(s).
- Watch the handling of your credit cards during transactions.
- Keep track of all receipts and void incorrect receipts.
- Never sign a blank receipt.
- Open bills promptly and compare receipts with billing statements.
- Report questionable charges immediately.
- Notify card companies in advance of a change in address.
- Cancel unused credit card accounts.
- Contact creditors about accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
If you are a victim of identity theft, alert telephone (and cell), electrical, gas and water utilities that someone may try to set up an account using your information.
If you are a victim, or as a precaution regarding identity theft, please contact the fraud department of each of the 3 major credit bureaus.
- Equifax: To report fraud call 800-525-6285
- To order your credit report call 800-685-1111
- Experian: To report fraud: 888-Experian
- To order your credit report call 888-Experian
- TransUnion: To report fraud call 800-680-7289
- To order your credit report call 800-916-8800
You can obtain a free annual credit report